Sunday, November 27, 2011

Quick and Cozy Baby Boots


Quick and Cozy House Boots
Materials:
Leather for sole – Two 6x2 inch pieces
One skein Lion Brand Quick and Cozy
3mm Crochet Hook
Size: 12+ - These shoes are going to last quite a while.

Leather soles: To make the sole of the shoe I had Sylvester stand on a piece of paper and drew around his foot, both left and right. I then used that template to cut it out of a thin leather scrap. I punched holes around the whole sole about ¼ inch apart. For Sylvester’s foot there was about 40 holes per foot.
Begin crocheting: SC in each hole around sole of shoe, slip stitch in beginning SC.
Row 2 and 3: SC around, slip stitch in beginning SC.
Row 4: Decrease every 5 stitches around, SS in beginning SC. Cut yarn.
Row 5: Begin toe shaping, you will leave heel stitches unworked. Count 10 stitches from center heel, SC in back loop only, SC 20 stitches, CH 1, turn.
Row 6: Decrease every 4 stitches. 15 stitches remain.
Row 7: Decrease every 3 stitches. 10 stitches remain.
Turn wrong side out, SC toe stitches together closing top of foot. Cut yarn.
Beginning on left side of toe stitches, begin crocheting around heel stitches (approx. 20) and over tongue stitches. Number of stitches will vary.
SC in all stitches around for 3-4 rows to create ankle of boot, slip stitching at beginning of each row.
Repeat for other shoe. Admire adorable child in boots!
Side note, I thought about decreasing around the ankle ,but was worried about it being too tight to get on easily. If it looks loose, decrease a few stitches or run a ribbon/cord through stitches to tighten around foot.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions: LadyMienna@gmail.com. I have never written a pattern before so please excuse any mistakes. ©Holly Miniea 2011

8 comments:

  1. I was looking at this and my first thought was "that's not your handwriting!" =P It's so cool you've written a pattern. Maybe one day I'll learn to crochet so I can understand it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These have been awesome. He still wears them, I think. Great pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute!! I want to make this but I just wanted to double check if you used a 3mm hook because the recommended hook is 10mm. I'm a total beginner so this isn't common sense to me and that seems like a big difference. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a 3mm hook, yes. I wanted it to be a tight fabric for warmth. Send pictures when you finish, I'd love to see them!

      Delete
  4. How on EARTH did you manage to draw around an 11 months olds foot! I think that might be a 2 person job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a two person job, though I think it was easier then than it is now that he's 2 1/2!

      Delete
  5. This is amazing! My 16-month-old is in the process of outgrowing the commercial soft soled shoes, and I have been looking for a pattern to make this exact thing for a while. (My machine won't sew through leather, so I figured I'd crochet her shoes instead).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to make Sylvester a second pair here soon. He still asks to wear these and they're a bit too small now! I think I might try a cotton blend yarn for summer time, since he wears slippers all the time at home.

      Delete